Wednesday, January 14, 2015

january mornings.




 Bonjour!

And the snow finally fell. Not in time for Christmas, of course, but just in time for the heavy traveling that comes with the looming of a new semester. To be quite honest, I love snow. It's beautiful, it makes un-raked yards look cleaner, and it's sparkly. It also matches well with practically any outfit. But it also gets into shoes, boots, whatever, makes the weather colder by reverse causation, and commonly travels with its unpleasant friend, Mr. Ice. And Mr. Ice does everything in his power to make your winter a very unpleasant one.

That being said, I feel winter has finally come to January. Just in time for college to start back up. This morning as I was awakened by the sounds of a cat engaging in regurgitative behaviors, I was suddenly smacked with the realization that class starts next week at 8:00 AM bright and early. And not only does class start next week at 8:00 AM bright and early, but at the time which I will have to get up (ahem, 6:00) it is not even bright insomuch as it is early. In fact, when I finished hauling the afore-mentioned puking cat to her litterbox to dispel of unwanted inner ick, and looked out the window, I found to my gaping astonishment that the moon WAS STILL HAPPILY SITTING IN AN OVERHEAD POSITION IN THE SKY. At 6 in the morning. The sun was nowhere in sight.

I could have cried right then and there. I felt a heavy feeling of foreboding settle over my soul like a blanket of snow on the frozen ground. Or maybe it was my body's way of punishing me for having to leap out of bed so early in the morning on break. Regardless, I knew from that point forward that, for two days a week, I would be getting up in practically nighttime settings, leaving the house at the crack of dawn (if I'm lucky), and arriving at class with the sun on its way to a higher point in the morning sky. I cringe just thinking about it.

Then, another thought struck me. I have to leave at 7 in the morning only two days a week, which is three days less than normal public-school kids. I live in the same city as the university, so I have an even lesser distance to travel than some college students. Furthermore, most people who aren't even going to college have to leave the house just as early or earlier to get to work every morning. And I realized: I am a huge debbie-downer. I am having a pity party over LIFE. So now I am thinking, You know what? I hate getting up early and I hate being out early. But life happens. Some people have it better, but most have it worse. So you just have to make the morning love you, rather than the other way around. It may take a while, but carpe diem! Until then, I am going to make the most out of break and relax as much as possible.

And going to hope that the cat stops barfing while I am trying to sleep.

xoxo, Sara




2 comments:

Thank you for a lovely comment.