Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Seeing Stripes and Sketchy Thrifting







I'm not usually a stripe person, but ever since I found an article that told me that people my size should wear more stripes and less dots... yeah, I'm gonna start hunting for stripes. Because after all, what woman wants to look shorter than her age? Not this one. I've come to accept that I haven't hit my growth spurt (and probably never will at this point), but hey, you find some tips to look taller, and who isn't going to pay just a teensy bit of attention? And I really like this top. The story behind getting it, well, is another story.

It all  started in a little town which is now affectionately known by my sisters and I as "Wat-sketch-ka". The   youngest goes to braces appointments there, and my other younger sister goes for retainer visits. It takes a WHOLE HOUR and a half to get there, but the prices are UBER cheap. And thus we set out, me coming along only because I knew there would be shopping afterwards. After their appointments, we drove down one of the town's quaint little storefront streets, and, seeing a thrift shop we hadn't yet explored, we parked and went in. The owner (or apparently the caretaker), was not in the store, but was instead sitting outside of the store next door. He told us to go on in though, so we did. This store had room after room of clothes, some hanging on racks, and others just piled on the floor. That was clue #1 that the store was, in the words of my odd sister, "sketch" ( definition: suspicious).

So la-di-da, we look around, I find this shirt and another one (which was, tragically, polka-dotted), my sister finds the navy and white striped cardi (as seen in the first image), and such. Then the owner/caretaker/person comes in and leads us to the further back portion of the store which was previously dark and through which we had not ventured for the aforementioned reason (clue #2 this place was totally "sketch"). He takes us to the very back room... and shuts the door behind us. Because the other owner "Has the air-conditioner on."

At this point we're all thinking, "THIS PLACE IS CRAZY SKETCH!!!" as well as, "If we make it out of here alive..." etc, etc. So we look around (though I'm sure it was just to humor the man), and, finding nothing (I mean, come on, this stuff looked like it was from the '80s!! And even then, it's a wonder it wasn't burned back then. Seriously.), we return to the front (and safer part) of the store. Only we had to go to the store next door because that was where the owner/caretaker guy was. And then he wanted us to look around that store too. Finally we got around to checking out and it cost us $4 per shirt. At a sketch/po-dunky/slightly dirty resale store where there was a partially full ketchup bottle in a bathroom trash can. New clothes at Walmart tend to be cheaper than that. And he sure made us think he was giving us a deal, too. It cost us $20 (!!!) for just five tops which were USED anyway. What part of THRIFTY don't they understand?! Needless to say, I think we'll be sticking to our usual thrift store stops from here on out.

From one lady to another, watch out for those stores that scream "WE ARE SKETCHY! COME LOOK AROUND!" You might never come out of there again... with a decent-sized wallet, at least.....

Image 1 and 2: Cardi- Thrifted (at our own risk), Blouse- Deb, Skirt- Thrifted, Sunnies- Walmart
Images 3-7: Top- Thrifted (at our own risk), Skirt- Gifted, Belt- Icing, Sandals- Walmart, Hairbow- Handmade (yay crochet!)

xoxo, Lady S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for a lovely comment.